banana blueberry muffins sans baking soda

October 21, 2013

I am not a big baker, but in the off chance that I'm craving a baked good I'm usually SOL. Having all of the ingredients on hand to bake cookies, cake, or muffins even, always seems like an issue for me. Those who seem to always have the ability to whip together a hand-made dessert or a fresh batch of dough on a whim - you've got your life together. Teach me your ways, please.


Enter this morning. I was really craving muffins. Something different than my typical toast with peanut butter. I thought about it for a while. I had bananas. I had blueberries (frozen, albeit). I had flour - wooohoo! I had sugar and baking powder. I was on a roll. My excitement was pretty high realizing these muffins could very well become a reality. Then, after looking through a few on-line recipes, I realized I was missing a pretty standard ingredient - baking soda. Go figure.

I was about to ditch the whole thing and settle with the toast, when I decided to just go for it. Isn't part of the fun of cooking to try new things? Why does it have to be perfect?

So, I went for it. Blueberry muffins with frozen blueberries and no baking soda. This may not be anything new to some, but to those, like myself, who have a regular aversion to baking and its misconceived perfection. Here is your hope.

You can change the rules.

You can bake without baking soda.

You can have muffins!





Banana Blueberry Muffins sans Baking Soda

Ingredients:
2 ripe bananas
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup frozen blueberries (you can use fresh, but I only had frozen on hand)
2 teaspoon baking powder (this is where you make up for not having baking soda!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup flour


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a muffin pan either by lightly greasing with coconut oil, adding muffin liners or use a silicon pan which requires no prep.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine bananas, milk, egg, sugar, and butter. Mix thoroughly, making sure to smash the bananas to get a semi-smooth consistency. The mixture will be lumpy.

In another smaller mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix gently.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix together until fully combined. Gently fold in the blueberries. Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin pan, about 2/3 of the way. Try not to over fill them.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-28 minutes, or until golden brown.

Enjoy right away with some butter, or store for later! Can be saved for about 3-4 days in air tight container/ziplock. To reheat, lightly wrap a muffin in a damp paper towel and pop in the microwave for  about 30 seconds.




No comments :

Post a Comment