lazy bake a.k.a. "refrigerator surprise bake"

November 18, 2013


Growing up, my Dad would sometimes make what he coined as "refrigerator surprise." He would take all the leftovers sitting in the fridge from that week and somehow magically whip up a culinary masterpiece. I can't say the dinner always looked appealing as my brother and I would cautiously poke at the plate. But, nevertheless, it always tasted great.

At the time, I don't think I truly appreciated or understood the genius in throwing together a complete family meal made entirely from the week's leftovers. But now that I'm older... and the days are undeniably shorter...whipping up something that is not only satisfying, but also quick, easy, and reduces waste. Well. That's just pure genius!

This dish isn't exactly the "refrigerator surprise"I grew up with. I know... I got you all worked up. But, this does have a similar concept and is a great dish to throw together on those "long, busy days you come home exhausted and starved, but have nothing in your fridge and need to go to the store" days.

Yeah, those days.

This dish is super simple and doesn't follow an exact science. You can pretty much throw whatever you have on hand in this dish.



Just take some old, crusty bread and toss it in a dish. Then top with some cheese. I had a little bit of cream cheese and some shredded cheese almost at it's end on hand, so I threw both of those in the dish with the bread.

Then I took all of my four eggs left and whisked them together with my last bit of half and half. I threw in some sliced green onions, then poured the mixture over the bread and cheese. At this point, you could probably throw this in the oven, but I knew I had a few leftover scraps that would make this even better. Plus, I always celebrate a small victory when I find a way to use up leftovers.



Throw in whatever leftovers you have sitting in your fridge - chopped veggies, pasta sauce, sauteed onions, peppers, salsa, whatever! Then throw the whole thing in the oven and boom! Refrigerator surprise, folks!


Lazy Bake a.k.a. "Refrigerator Surprise Bake"
inspired by Pioneer Woman's Bagel and Cream Cheese Baked French Toast

Ingredients:
old crusty bread, cubed or torn into chunks (I used old sourdough bread)
4 eggs
1/3 cup half and half
cream cheese (enough to drop a few dollops throughout)
shredded cheese (about a handful or two)
2 green onions, sliced
salt to season
dash of cayenne
dash of ground mustard

optional leftover topping ideas:
pasta sauce/marinara
diced onion, peppers
chopped veggies
cilantro
salsa

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly grease a small oven-proof casserole dish (I used a 3 cup, 7x5 inch pyrex) with butter or coconut oil. Spread the bread cubes in the dish. Add in a few small dollops of cream cheese throughout the dish (I put about 7-8 dollops). Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.

In a separate small bowl, add the eggs, half and half, green onions, salt, cayenne and ground mustard. Whisk until combined. Pour the egg mixture in the casserole dish over the bread. This is your "bake" base.

Pull out whatever leftover scraps you may have on hand to add as toppings to your base. Add whatever you choose over the top of the bread, cheese and egg mixture.

Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake covered for about 15-20 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a minute. Cut into squares and serve!
For this particular bake, I used leftover pasta sauce and some diced sauteed onion and peppers I had from the previous night's dinner. I also used leftover pico de gallo and cilantro I had on hand to garnish after baking the dish.

3 comments :

  1. Looks good. Would never have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was the same way! She'd take everything from the fridge and transform it into a yummy, cheesy casserole of sorts. Your dish looks d-lish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I never thought I'd end up making "refrigerator surprise" as I wasn't a huge fan growing up, but it's such a great way to use up leftovers and anything else reaching its peak in the fridge!

      Delete